Company History

Founded in April of 1963 by Emory Sharp, Sharp’s Heating & Cooling Inc. has been a Lennox dealer for more than 40 years. Emory Sharp came to Michigan from Alabama to work for the Buick Motor Company in 1953. After three years, he quit to work for a bottled gas company before joining Westin Engineering, a furnace company and Lennox dealer in Flint. When Westin closed its doors, the Lennox Company asked Emory to take over as the Lennox dealer in the area. He finally agreed, and at age 37, opened Sharp’s.

One of Sharp’s first customers was developer Cliff Trelout who was building Jane Hill subdivision. For the first 25 years, Sharp’s predominantly installed furnaces in new homes, moving more toward replacement and repair as the surrounding area became more populated and settled.

Emory’s son, Michael Sharp, started working for his dad at age 13 during his summer breaks as a gofer carrying tools. The company moved to their present location at 3492 W. Thompson Road in Fenton in 1976. It was around this time that Sharp’s added air conditioners to their product line, expanding their services to heating AND cooling.

After high school, Michael headed for Eastern Michigan University where he studied biology and chemistry before deciding to join the family business full time. He earned his first heating license in 1977, and became owner of Sharp’s Heating and Cooling Inc. in 1993.

Under Michael, the business underwent some changes. He added an office to the front of their main building and built a warehouse behind it. He has also added additional product lines and built the company into a Lennox Premier Dealer.

One of five employees, Michael’s youngest son, Stephen Sharp, is currently working for Sharp’s Heating & Cooling Inc. as a summer job. Son Andrew also worked for his dad while in high school. Daughter Angela kept business in the family, opting to work for her mother at Sharp’s Academy.